Sunday, July 7, 2013

Rubbernecking

While I read up on draping versus drafting sleeves, I decided to avoid that and work up a quick collar piece instead.While Misato's collar seems like it would be just a matter of drawing a rectangle and bolting it on, I ended up draping for a mandarin collar, to get the shaping to the curved neckline. Consulting the books, I went with a method that called for marking out some grain lines, based on measurements, so I got this out.


The nice thing about the flexible ruler, is that this method established the neck line,but then you have to draw in the top edge to match at the appropriate width (I went with 2"). So you can just do this, match the curve and move it..


The test collar seems to be on the right track, though it will need to be adjusted. It will need to wrap around further and I need to mark the pattern to reflect where the "loose" ends start. This is just the basic neck measurements. I'll probably expand the "circle" a little bit, but I'm not sure by how much. I can't go by the pictures, cause Lucy has a neck that could theoretically actually support a normally shaped human head.

I normally don't believe in cutting on the fold.

This picture looks like hell again, but at my house, the thing actually looks like a uniform width and all that good stuff. If I can figure out what I'm learning here, I can some day hope to work for a fishing magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment