Sunday, July 28, 2013

Fun With Irons

While waiting for this pot roast to slow cook, I spent the day sewing up new test garments. A new sleeve draft was made, based on the basic dartless sleeve. Pretty much just straight down from the end points of the shoulder, but I did taper it a bit thinking that looked really wide. I also redid the collar pattern, to be longer and taller.The back was also redrawn as one piece.


The first thing I did was to burn my arm with the iron. Right where my pincushion goes, so that was inconvenient. And then I absentmindedly scratched it. Once...

First, I worked up the Akari bodice. Twice, really, so I could have the inside and outside. It took a while, but with enough pins, it wasn't too difficult.


I had a hell of time pressing it after this point, but eventually got it on Lucy.


Once again, I realized I need to shave off some of this one corner. Last time, I wasn't sure if it was the pattern or just sewn that way, but I'll tighten it up next time.


The back worked out well enough. I need to narrow a section or two just a bit, though once again, I'm not sure if it's the pattern piece or just sewn a little large. I'll probably narrow it just a bit and keep watching the sewing. With this kind of fit, a little difference stands out a lot more.


I have to adjust the center back pieces for the actual closure anyway, but things are lining up close enough to Lucy's guide lines to consider this a nice improvement.

I got the Misato jacket together similar to the previous trial. That is, sew the body of the jacket together then slide on the sleeves and pin on the collar. I folded some edges under and left a "seam allowance" on the collar so it could be pinned below the collar line, under the jacket. I thought this would make it sit a little more like it would if it were sewn on. I guess it worked, but on the next test, I think I will sew it all up and also see if the sleeves really are heading in the right direction.

Getting dressed
I think I went a little too long on the collar, since it should reach just to the edge of the front piece rather than to the opposite shoulder seam. I do think I like the extra height on the collar though.


For the back, right now I'm going with this one piece back and will make the center "stripe" just a bolt on. I was thinking about making it three pieces, but I couldn't think of a good reason to do that.


The center piece will probably just be a strip with edges folded over and sewn with one of these feet. These should keep the edgestitching on track.


As it turns out, the answer to the question, how many times can I drop my iron on the floor today before the water starts coming out of places water isn't supposed to come out of? is two. I'm sure there's a gravity feed iron joke in here somewhere, but I'll think it up later after I order a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment