Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hemming

It occurred to me that the tiers of this skirt, contrarily to the petticoats of the Grace Kelly, will be the outermost layer, and thus visible. My first thought it to use the scroll hemmer foot to make some narrow rolled hems on the sections, before they get ruffled onto the skirt base. I think I can go down to 1/16" hem with those, and if the silk thread for the real garment blends in like "they" claim, maybe that will be okay. Ideally though, I want something that can't be seen from the right side of the garment.

If the tiers are underlined with silk organza, like they probably will, then it becomes easier to turn up something light and stitch to the underlining. I haven't decided on the whole underlying structure of the skirt so I don't know how relatively stiff I want in the tiers. My first reaction is I want to keep these light and puff them up with layers underneath, but then since it's the visible layer, I think the smoother, more polished look of the underlined and somewhat controlled sections will look better in the end. I'm sure I'll think of ten ways to do it twice before I get around to having to do it for real in silk.

No comments:

Post a Comment