Friday, February 1, 2013

Do the math

The instructions for the ruffler call for the machine to run at 600-900 stitches per minute. With the motor on my DDL-8700, I had to read the manuals to see if I could get that low. For a minute I thought I might have to do calculus, since the documentation shows everything in RPM. But then a pencil mark on the hand wheel and belt cover said, hey dummy, it's 1:1.

The motor manual says "34" = 4500 RPM and each step down on the speed setting is 100 RPM less. Starting from 34, that sounds like a problem. I happened to look at the motor and when I couldn't see the pulley inside the guard, I remembered I had put on the smaller 50mm pulley. The 4500 RPM being based on a 90mm pulley, I should now have plenty of room to go down to 900 or less.

It's almost Friday so I guess my weekend will include setting this thing up for the first time and running some samples with the various cams and knobs to see what it really does on fabric. The instructions are like poetry. "Up and down to adjust the firmly screw, you will find the different deepness of kilted." I shall meditate upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment