Sunday, March 24, 2013

After the fact

Thinking I was going to work up some new test pattern pieces for the tiered skirt, I pulled all the tiers and the draped on "skirt" section off Lucy. The plan was to follow this draping book idea, and actually draft a skirt block, and whack it up into sections that the ruffles would be ruffled on to. I had skimmed over the book before and knowing generally how it was going to work, I just took everything of the form so new stuff could be added later. Well... after it was off, the now-obvious question came up, where were those ruffles located so the new pattern pieces could be made to match? Duh...

Naturally, the thing to in this case was to take that big chunk of fabric from the "skirt"and press it out and use it to drape out something else I saw in the book, totally unrelated to the Akari project. At least I now have some nice sections of muslin cut offs for testing ruffler adjustments and whatnot. Tomorrow I'll dig up the skirt drafts and make a few copies and start again. I theoretically have enough real materials to make the Grace Kelly twice, and that's good since I'm following my usual rule of really doing it up right, the second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment