Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Thread Tracing

Realizing that at some point, constructing these garments can't involve me drawing on muslin with a pencil, I started trying thread tracing. Somehow I've never used thread tracing, but here we go. I think I'll like it since it shows on both sides. Since I'm marking sewing lines rather than using the cut edge of the fabric as a guide, it makes it easier to line up adjoining pieces and see the sewing line.

Most of my thread is ecru or whiter, but in the closet I had an assortment of Clover silk thread in dark colors. Amazon sells these six spool assortments and I have several of the two white/two black/two "winter white" boxes on standby. The price on these is a little higher now ($21-22) but if you look at camelcamelcamel, you can see an average price of about $17 and a low of $14 for the black and white assortment. I'd wait til it goes back down again before getting more.


Before I started, I traced out some fresh pattern pieces on paper and cut them to the sewing line instead of just generally around them as before. The paper piece is laid on the fabric and running stitches made around it. At corners, they say to exit at the corner point, turn and come back out at the corner point heading in the next direction. Probably easier to just look at it here. The paper is shifting away but I'll use the ol' blue tape to hold it in place next time.

You get the idea.

Eventually you end up with something like this. The dart's not marked here but you can see the shape of one of the front pieces of the Misato (Not) by Chanel jacket taking shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment