Monday, January 28, 2013

The Akari Project

It's been so long since I made any progress on the Grace Kelly (or any other) project, that more vouchers have come and gone. (Two posts in 2012? I'm sure I did more than that...) Given the level of work that will go into that one, I put the left over money into some materials to make an intermediate project first. This one should be similar from a construction standpoint, but just not as much. No resewn lace bodice or any of that, but utilizing the underbodice pattern and tiered petticoats.

The design is taken from Akari's wedding dress from the manga version of 5 Centimeters Per Second.


To make the bodice, I just make the front underbodice piece from the other dress double-wide and make it close in the back instead of the front. I assume the visible part at the center back will be cosmetic with some sort of actual closure underneath. To make it carry over to the Grace Kelly, it will probably be some sort of zippered arrangement that continues into the skirt so a person could theoretically step into it.


For the tiered skirt section, I still need to decide on a height for Lucy so I can calculate the length of each section. Up til now, I've been getting by just draping on stuff and letting it fall wherever while I focused on the waist area. The picture doesn't show how many tiers this has, or the relative lengths of the unseen portion(s), so once I pick an overall length, I can make at least 3 levels, look at them and decide what looks best.

No comments:

Post a Comment